Thursday 19 January 2017

# advice # ARU

Why I'd urge my own children to go to University...


I know more and more people are now attending University however, I also know there are still a huge amount of people who don't go for their own reasons. I would never force my own children into doing something they don't want to do however, after experiencing University myself, I wouldn't definitely urge them to give it a go and this is why...

Firstly, it has nothing to do with the academic side of things - which I know is the main reason why most people go. I don't care if they were not bothered about getting a degree or if the job they wanted didn't need one either, I would still urge them to try it. The reason for this is more due to the life experience and opportunities they will be presented with over the 3 years. I would urge them to go just so they could experience the independence of living away from home with friends, the experience of living in a brand new city and also the chance to try something new.

From being a countryside girl, living in a tiny village where everyone knows one another, going to University and living in a city was such a huge step. However, it's been the best thing I have ever done and so far has been the best few years of my life. 

My original decision to go to uni was based on the fact that I wanted a degree in a subject I love but also because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. However, I have been gaining so much more than another qualification or knowledge of psychology, I have also gained so much life experience. The shy and timid girl I was before, who hated even ordering my own food at a restaurant, is now full of so much confidence and faith in myself that I lacked before. I've noticed it in myself but my family have noticed it in me too and it's a transformation that would not have occurred if I hadn't taken up this opportunity.

So, that is why I would definitely urge my own children to give University a go. It's not just about the education, it's not just about getting that degree, it's about moving away and experiencing something different.... being brave and stepping out of your comfort zone. I know it comes along with the debt (but let's be honest, you never really know it's there due to the way it's all paid back), so even if you're not bothered about a degree, spending 3 years away just for the life experience is more than enough reason to go.

For anyone debating over going to University or feeling nervous at the idea of applying, I felt that exact same way yet it's a few years later and I am so glad that I changed my mind and decided to go.
I've finally found a city that I adore and also made lifelong friends and experienced something I never imagined I would.

It's shaped me into a different person but in the best way possible and I finally feel much more content with where I'm at and the growth I've achieved. Obviously getting that degree and getting to wear that cap and gown is going to be so rewarding at the end of the 3 years however, that won't be the main thing I talk about when sharing my experience. Instead, I'll be focusing on the incredible memories I've made, the funny moments that had me in tears crying and even the most stressful moments where I was on the verge of a breakdown. They are all the key aspects that made my experience what it is and they are all the moments that have helped me grow and become an adult (even though I still don't feel like one), compared to the timid teenager who started a couple of years ago.

I know University isn't for everyone however, what is for everyone is everything else you gain from being apart of that community. Therefore, for that reason, I would definitely urge my own children to give it ago but also anyone else who has ever let that thought cross their mind.

I say take the opportunity and let it carry you in all sorts of directions you never imagined you would go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment